some [big, exciting!] news
Champagne? On a Thursday evening? What in the world is the cause for this impromptu celebration you ask?
Well y’all, my baby bother did it…
last night as he and Katie were winding down after a busy Thursday, he asked her to be his wife
BHP AND KATIE ARE GETTING MARRIED!!!
My eyes have been filled with tears all morning. I knew this was coming [I helped him pick out the ring!] and I knew I would be excited- but I had no idea that I would be so emotional about this. Chalk one up for being the proud big sister I guess!
A funny story: BHP announced a few years ago that he was quite dissatisfied with the notion of a modern-day engagement. He proclaimed quite loudly that he didn’t think it was fair that the girl got a ring and the guy got- well- nothing. “I want a sword when I get engaged.” he said. “And I’m not going to ask Katie until I get it.” Well, my Dad, being the prompt decision maker of the family, immediately went on eBay and ordered him an authentic Civil War sword [complete with original initials carved into the handle] and the sword has been in storage at our house ever sense; confiscated until BHP actually popped the question. Last night, he was finally able to collect his artillary [see above].
My brother and I had a rocky relationship as teenagers. I’m sure my domineering older sister mentality played a [not so] minor role in this. Once BHP went off to college we finally forged out gaps and started on the road to a new, strong brother-sister bond. Dare I say that Miss Katie has helped us become even closer and that- thankfully- our bond is stronger than ever. There were days as a teenager that I would never imagine going with my brother to help him pick out an engagement ring for his soon-to-be bride. Thankfully time and maturity have closed that chapter.
As we celebrated with them last night, I shared one piece of advice that my Mother shared with me when Blake and I got engaged:
This is such an exciting time for you both. Enjoy every single second of it. But don’t loose sight that- at the end of the day- this is and always will be about the two of you. About your relationship and your love for one another.
High-fives, jazz hands, chorus lines, and the loudest of all cheers for my sweet brother and his beautiful, blushing bride. We are ALL so over the moon for you. Now, please excuse me— for those of you that we in attendance at our wedding, you know I have some MAJOR shoes to fill in the toast category…
Here’s to happily ever after.
- charliebravo likes this
- graceinplace likes this
- umcanyounot likes this
- thatluciegirl likes this
- justsol likes this
- jenniferaross likes this
- accidentalextrovert likes this
- littlecageofmine likes this
- heylaney likes this
- searchingperfection likes this
- happinesshighlights likes this
- juliajane likes this
- landofthepine likes this
- divinesecrets likes this
- kimbaland said: is that picture taken at your house? when i saw it on her blog i was like that looks familiar!
- kimbaland likes this
- cupofchi said: When my brother got engaged, I cried wayyy more than I thought it would (helped with the ring, knew it was coming, but still…all the tears). YAY!
- cupofchi likes this
- oh-onelovelyday likes this
- thegreatworldofmelissa said: You better start writing it now xoxo
- thegreatworldofmelissa likes this
- agirlaguyandababy likes this
- 20somethinginger likes this
- my-little-kumquat likes this
- raleighwoodrockstar likes this
- shewasalwayskristielee likes this
- reneenicolesays likes this
- cmconnors likes this
- keylimeliving likes this
- tallgirltales likes this
- heywhysoserious likes this
- littlemiss-melly likes this
- iamtallandawesome likes this
- colormecozy said: So exciting!
- thebaucompair said: oh my gosh. color me a fool. I had no idea BHP was your brother and I follow Katie’s blog, too! Facepalm. Exciting news all around!
- nmattea likes this
- sashayrae likes this
- alutamillloves said: Aww!! Yay congrats!!
- jaclynday likes this
- alutamillloves likes this
- colormecozy likes this
- muchtoyourchagrin likes this
- littlelg likes this
- annlivesthegoodlife likes this
- littlelaur likes this
- champagnetoasts posted this