[food] a summery tomato tart
I am literally DYING for an excuse to pluck my tomatoes from their vines and make this tart. Blake just might have to forgo his hankering for ribs this weekend to satisfy his tomato-hungry wife.
Y’all have heard the saying- happy wife, happy life? Yeah, I think that’s the appropriate selling point to throw around in this situation
A Summery Tomato Tart
- 1 9-inch pie shell (I fully intend on using a store bough pie crust)
- 1/2 yellow or red onion, chopped
- 3-4 tomatoes, cut in half horizontally, squeezed to remove excess juice, roughly chopped, to yield approximately 3 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sliced basil (about 8 leaves), chiffonade
- 2 cups grated cheese (combination of sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack, or Gruyere or Mozarella)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (Duke’s Light Mayo is my jam)
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco (or more to taste; the H’s and our spicy taste buds will opt for more)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 350°F. Place pie shell in oven and cook for 8-10 minutes or longer until lightly golden. If you are starting with a frozen crust, you’ll need to cook it a little longer.
Squeeze as much moisture as you can out of the chopped tomatoes, using either paper towels, a clean dish towel, or a potato ricer.
Sprinkle the bottom of the pre-cooked pie shell with chopped onion. Spread the chopped tomatoes over the onions. Sprinkle the sliced basil over the tomatoes.
In a medium bowl, mix together the grated cheese, mayonnaise, Tabasco, a sprinkling of salt and freshly ground black pepper. The mixture should be the consistency of a gooey snow ball. Spread the cheese mixture over the tomatoes.
Place in oven and bake until browned and bubbly, anywhere from 25 to 45 minutes.
recipe and photo via simply recipes
- fabulousasgard reblogged this from champagnetoasts
- simonsayz likes this
- socalledlife reblogged this from champagnetoasts and added:
- therain-stains likes this
- goodtothelastdrop likes this
- thegreatworldofmelissa likes this
- heylaney likes this
- chicagokate reblogged this from champagnetoasts and added:
- thedailykaylee said: Let us know how it turns out!
- thedailykaylee likes this
- eatingelephants reblogged this from champagnetoasts and added:
- roadtripsandramblings likes this
- manzanas likes this
- vbtwns likes this
- carolinablueandaspotteddog likes this
- chiccritique likes this
- charliebravo likes this
- whiskeybentandhellbound likes this
- raleighwoodrockstar likes this
- bymelissa likes this
- joannafreed likes this
- my-little-kumquat likes this
- stickyheel5 likes this
- breadandbutternyc likes this
- inmyopinion likes this
- tallgirltales likes this
- accidentalextrovert likes this
- cmconnors likes this
- nmattea likes this
- sunkissedjayne likes this
- champagnetoasts posted this